One of the most frequently asked questions I hear among new E30 enthusiasts is, “How do I remove my steering wheel?” The removal of non-airbag steering wheels is very easy, and I’ll cover how to remove this version in this post. The airbag wheels are slightly more involved to remove, and I’ll cover that version the next time an airbag model E30 is available to me.
Removing the wheel
1. Remove the key from the ignition so the steering wheel is in the locked position. This is important so the wheel is in a fixed position allowing the lock nut to be removed.
2. Carefully remove the center emblem with a slim flat head screwdriver to reveal the 22mm lock nut.
3. Using a breaker bar, extension and 22mm socket, turn counter-clockwise to break the nut loose. Remove the nut from the steering shaft.
4. Re-insert the key into the ignition and turn it to the first position to release the lock. Failure to do this step will not allow you to remove the wheel.
5. Remove the steering wheel!
I’ve also put together this short video DIY below. Check out our full library of E30 videos here: E30 Video Library